Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I Will Return

By I.M. Ulysses

The future is past
And the present's a blur
But I am resolved
So I will return

The battle's been fought
And the enemy engaged
Yet after 25 years
I am still enraged

The home that I left
Now lies in the dust
And the love of my life
A victim of trust

All round about me
Devestation has reined
The kings have all fled
The great men are slain'd

But my heart is strong
And the fire still burns
So despite all the suffering
I will return

Back to my land
To the place of my birth
Where waters flow quickly
From blue sky to earth

There to set right
What time has forgot
And put back together
The weak, the broken, and lost

I come not in power
Nor with great might
And when you see me
You'll cringe at my sight

For I'm all that is left
Of a man once discerned
And though you think not
I will return

Look not to the sky
And search not below
For I'll come in secret
From a long time ago

Across the prairie
Beyond the Great Lakes
I'll race in the moonlight
For my spirit's sake

Bow down ye mountains
Be still ye great sea
Know that I'm coming
When I am set free

And when I arrive
I'll weep and I'll mourn
For all the lost years
When I have returned

Time goes by swiftly
Like a thief in the night
Stalking us all
With pain, death and fright

But it's not the battle
That I fear below
But the years that were lost
That aches me to know

Let my enemies tremble
But my friends take heart
When the sky darkens
And the sunlight departs

For when the dawn breaks
That day will confirm
Despite all the perils
I have returned.

See: http://www.canadianexile.blogspot.ca/2012/07/i-have-returned.html

No comments: